Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day One - Growing Our Own Vegies

Over the past 4 weeks, I have been preparing a little used raised garden bed to allow it to be used as a vegetable garden. Previously it was the location of a large hibiscus tree and weeds and grass.

Two weekends ago I removed the hibiscus tree and cleaned up all the grass. I also loosened the compacted soil with a mattock and tried to break up the larger clumps of soil and removed any further weeds and leaves.

This weekend I bought two bags of cow manure and one of chicken manure. I mixed these into the existing soil to prepare the bed for planting.

To give my first batch of plants the best possible start and let the bed settle in I planted a batch of seeds in a seed planter.

I have chosen the following plants as they are foods we eat on a regular basis:
  • Tomatoes
  • Squash
  • Lebanese Cucumber
  • Lettuce (various varieties)
  • Capsicum
Over the next few weeks I will post updates on how the plants are progressing. I will also include some photos of the bed and the seed planter.

No comments:

Post a Comment